Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Compiling Blender 2.5 and Python 3.2: Sucess!

Yes! I finally got around to building Blender 2.5 and Python 3.2 in my system smoothly (though with some minor bumps here and there). Some of you might have read my previous post about compile errors with Blender 2.5 (check it here http://reynantem.blogspot.com/2011/03/blender-25-compile-errors.html). All these thanks to Blender users Sergof, Dalai Felinto, Floft, Jonathan Williamson, and Kewl Luser for their prompt replies on my previous post. I wouldn't have fixed it if it weren't for their help.

Anyways, to cut the long story short; briefly, here are the things that I did:

  1. I made sure I did not edit any lines on the batch file that I created long ago. It's basically the gist of the instructions on compiling with Scons found here http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Ubuntu/Scons
  2. I compiled Python by following the instructions here (found under Compiling) http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Troubleshooting#Python
  3. After which, I edited my config file. This was the part I was mostly baffled with, since from the prior page you've seen, it's indicating that you edit the file 'user-config.py', which is, in my case, nowhere to be found in my system. But after digging in deep, I found a similar file named 'linux2-config.py' located under my build folder (which I have created from step 1) which has the path ~/blender-svn/blender/build_files/scons/

    Of which, I edited the lines mentioned in http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Troubleshooting#Python

  4. And finally, I re-executed my batch file to update my sources from SVN and it went on smoothly! Sweeeet!

2 comments:

Sergof said...

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you.
One more thing about the user-config.py, I haven't used scons in a while but from what I remember you really shouldn't modify linux2-config.py since it's the default that is used if you don't have your own.
Just create it in the blender root directory and put your coniguations there. That way there won't be any merge conflicts if somebody changes the defaults.
See the building blender wiki page you linked to for details.

iKlsR said...

glad i could assist in some way. happy blending. ^^